ODataClient for Objective-C for iOS 5?

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Any plan or when will the next version of ODataClient for Objective-C for iOS 5 be available?

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM

We will be posting our plans for this project soon, stay tuned

Oct 24, 2011 at 3:42 PM

we actually already migrated ODataClient successfully to iOS 5. We also fixed a couple of bugs. Other bugfixes are already scheduled, namely for the dictionary implementation.

What would be the best way to participate in this project? Is there a way to become a "developer"?

Regards,

Olaf

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Absolutely.

We're in the process of moving this project from its shared source incubation into a standard open source project. We're nearly done. Look for an announcement sometime this week detailing how to get involved with that project.

We're looking for some good contributors. I'll add your name to my "list of people to specifically invite."

Over the past while, a bunch of people have created separate chains of bugfixes and improvements. We're going to probably face a fair amount of work integrating them all with each other. But we'll be doing it on gitHub, so at least our source control will match the distributed nature of the fixes we've had to date.

There is a fair amount of work ahead of us, but I think we'll have a pretty good client when we come out the other side.

Arlo Belshee

Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 3:42 PM
To: Arlo Belshee
Subject: Re: ODataClient for Objective-C for iOS 5? [odataobjc:276104]

we actually already migrated ODataClient successfully to iOS 5. We also fixed a couple of bugs. Other bugfixes are already scheduled, namely for the dictionary implementation.

What would be the best way to participate in this project? Is there a way to become a "developer"?

Regards,

Olaf

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:57 PM

gitHub sounds great - keep us posted!

Regards,

Olaf Monien

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Is there any progress?

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:04 PM

When can we expect a new version with IOS 5 SDK's ?

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I recently tried to create an IOS 5 app and I copied the Odata Classes/files into the project.  I am trying to use the Garbage collector so I don't need to manage the memory.  I had to go through every class in Odata to get rid of "autorelease" and releasing objects.  I also had to make a few other changes.  I can get the project to build and run, but when the search request comes back, I have 500+ objects, but ALL of their properties are NIL...I'm sure I screwed something up on the Odata side, but I have NO clue where to look as I am still fairly new to Objective C(C# programmer)...Can you guys give me any clues where I need to look to fix this?  I can send you my Odata Classes/files if that helps.

thanks

Mark

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM
Edited Dec 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM
abub wrote:

We will be posting our plans for this project soon, stay tuned

I think our definitions of soon my be a bit different :)

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:55 PM

So true.

It has taken a lot longer to get through legal loopholes than anticipated.

But we're back to the "nearly done" state that I thought we were at a month and a half ago. As long as no new things come up again, our definitions of soon may coincide.

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Hello, is there a revised planning?

Dec 20, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I ended up switching to JSON...I couldn't wait any longer...My Odata Proxy could retrieve data, but it kept blowing up on me when the data was rebound to the UITableView...The JSON stuff seems pretty fast and not too difficult to use, so far...

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:07 PM

We finally got through all the legalese. I really apologize for the delay and for not knowing when it would finally happen.

This project is now able to take community contributions. We've moved source hosting over to gitHub.

The new release includes several bug fixes. It does not support iOS 5, but at least now we can take the contributions from those who have ported it to iOS 5.

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:21 PM

can you provide the link for the new gitHub location? (and maybe mention that on the home page as well)

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM

http://odata.github.com/OData4ObjC/

I am in the process of updating the codeplex project to point to the gitHub one. Discussions will remain here, especially user support. Most everything else will go to the gitHub project.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Has there been any progress made since the last post?  for iOS 5?

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I don't know who is working on the new and improved OData for Objective-C API, but I have some ideas.  http://odataobjc.codeplex.com/discussions/316778

Feb 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2012 at 11:52 PM

I have managed to get this running in iOS 5, basically the odatagen executable that generates the proxy class produces iOS4.3 header and implementation files, after generating that, you will need to manually fix all the ARC and iOS 4.3 errors.

Mar 28, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Is there any progress publishing a version that supports iOS 5 ?

Can you publish what are the manuall fixes needs to be done in the current version?

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM

kaf0021, I managed to use Odatagen into a iOS 5.0 with ARC indeed. Modification works like a charm but as soon i'm trying to build a new object, to fill its properties with some text fields and then to save changes, i've got a memory crash when the view is deallocating! It seems that the context release the variable containing the textfield.text before the view deallocates itself.

Did you face this kind of problem? thanks

Mar 30, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Unfortunately no, I have not run into that....right now, the app I am building is view only of the oData service I am pulling from. To clarify, the save works? but when navigating away from the view(being de-allocated), it throws the error?

May 31, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Edited May 31, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Hello,

does anyone have some piece of info about the future of this project? Will be any new version fully supporting iOS5? Is there any alternative way to fetch and upload Odata in iOS5? Thanks.

May 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM

We want to fully support iOS5. The limit right now is my time. I'm doing too many things at once, and this project is the one that is getting the least of my attention.

I'd love to fix this by getting another project maintainer. Lacking that I hope for pull requests. Lacking that, well, it'll take a while.

May 31, 2012 at 11:24 PM

BTW, I did some work to enable correct code generation. And it works (at least when built from source).

The problem is that the code generator uses XSLT internally. And it doesn't manage its stylesheet resources well. As a result, running an old version of the code generator leaves some bad stylesheets lying around that a good version of the generator then blindly uses.

The hack solution is to just always overwrite these files. The real solution is to mange the resources correctly. I'd appreciate help in this area. Otherwise I will get around to it eventually, but it may take a while.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Any news on iOS5 support? OData is a great protocol created by Microsoft, but support for multiple platforms is needed to make it really useful.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM

iOS5 has come and gone and iOS 6 with ARC is the norm, and I haven't seen any movement in this project. Is anybody still actively participating? Reason I'm asking is that some developers at my company are  using OData to push data to mobile applications, but without robust iOS support I can't seriously recommend this protocol, and will probably suggest moving to a JSON-based web service instead.

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Go with Json, i believe more developers are moving to that.

Mark baer

Sent from my iPhone
Oct 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

OData is not simply a serialization protocol like JSON, it can be used with ATOM, XML and JSON. It gives you a full set of capabilities to enable rich query client side. I totally agree with writeonceno. It seems impossible that a company like Microsoft does not have enough resources to push this great protocol even other platforms. For the time being I'm testing usage with Monotouch and Monodroid... Let's see what happens.

But please Microsoft... update this project, you can't rely only on OpenSource community to spread OData

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Well said, ifioravanti! I realized that my initial post may have sounded a bit bitter, definitely more than I intended. I echo your sentiment exactly. It's just that in my 3 plus years of iOS development, I've never seen support for a business-critical library languish so completely as has been the case here.

For what it's worth, since I need to deploy to iOS 6 based devices soon, and since my use of OData is currently limited to simple read requests, I'm thinking of solving the immediate problem by just cobbling together a lightweight object creator: Letting NSHTTPRequest/Response do the talking with the server, and then unraveling the response with the default XML parser. I know it's low-rent, but it beats having to deal with LLVM and ARC compatibility weirdness in my book.